Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Need a Little Motivation? Try a Power Hour!



Do you sometimes feel like you're swimming upstream when it comes to living healthfully? As we move through the middle of the year, it can be easy to start drifting from those January 1st resolutions to eat healthy, move more, get enough rest, manage stress, drink more water, and self-nurture.

One of the things I do to help me stay on track with weight management is to schedule what I call a "Power Hour" into my weekend. (If things are especially crazy, I'll schedule a "Power Half Hour" instead.) I light incense I find inspiring, then break out my planner. I then spend my hour reviewing my SMART goals for the year, the month, and the week.

How does this help me maintain my weight? First and foremost, my Power Hours are a time to reconnect with my values. One of the things I value is my health, so many of my goals express my intrinsic and extrinsic motivations for managing my weight.

A Power Hour is the perfect opportunity to reflect on what goals are working for me, and bask in my successes. It's also a time to reflect on what isn't working, and consider how I can do things differently and better.

Because our culture offers up so many distractions to good health, I find my Power Hours an essential tool for weight management. (Power Hours help me stay on track with other goals, too!) If you're not already enjoying a similar ritual, I encourage you to experiment with creating a Power Hour that works for you. Come back and let us know what you do, and how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment