Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Quote of the Day

"The way we see the problem is the problem." -- Stephen Covey

Do you see your weight as the problem? Or do you see the things you do (or don't do) as the problem?

Just for one month, experiment with letting go of your dress or pants size. Shift your focus from your body's size and shape.

Instead, try focusing on what you're doing that affects your weight. Track what you eat, drink at least 2 liters of plain water a day, increase your activity, get more (or better-quality) sleep, and manage your stress. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it's really not. Your weight is not the problem; it's a symptom of a problem. Focusing on the real problem will automatically correct the symptom -- and result in lasting weight maintenance.

4 comments:

  1. I like your idea that weight is a symptom and not the problem. It makes lots of sense when you really think about it. cbd

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got it, cbd. Western thinking tends toward symptom alleviation, rather than problem-solving. And for many of us, the problems stem from deep-seated hurts and unreasonable expectations. It seems easier to fix the symptom by losing weight. Unfortunately, it doesn't work long-term. As long as the problem remains, the symptoms will continue to return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I am a living testimony to that. I certainly have deep-seated hurts and I expect perfection from myself. Never from others, but always from myself. I am working (with my dr) to eliminate (hopefully!!) one of my meds. I think the cardiologist was treating the symptoms and not the cause. He is giving me heart med. for stress. I have cut down on my Toprol from 100 mg daily to only 12 mg daily. That is a marked improvement. My lady dr. is in agreement with this after seeing all of my test results. He said I suffered from stress and trauma shock. So about a year ago I went to her and she started me on Zoloft. It has helped tremendously. I think it's exactly the same thing with weight. Like you said just losing weight doesn't work long term. The problem has to be fixed. I am not realizing that. And losing weight seems to be a secondary issue. It's almost easier when looking at it from this perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, cbd. The idea of medicating the symptom, rather than treating the problem, is IMHO the problem with Western medicine. Going after the root of your stress makes so much more sense than going after the symptoms of your stress! I'm glad you're making such remarkable progress toward better health--and happiness :).

    ReplyDelete