Monday, March 14, 2011

Laughing All the Way...

You may have typed "LOL" today, but have you actually laughed out loud? Have you even smiled today?

I've been thinking lately about the power of laughter, and how it impacts healthy living and weight management. I watch TV with my kids, and lately, they're obsessed with "Big Time Rush." Unlike many kids' shows, there's little sarcasm. Instead, it's campy, unpredictable, and sometimes just plain silly. Even though it's geared for pre-teens, the show makes me laugh, and I genuinely enjoy watching it with my kids.

That's a good thing, as laughter really is good medicine. Among other things, laughing increases your levels of serotonin and endorphins. In other words, finding fun in your day changes your brain chemistry for the positive. Higher levels of serotonin and endorphins make it easier to prevent or recover from food cravings. And when your brain's happy, it's easier to follow through on your weight management goals.

So, I think it's smart to be proactive with laughter. If you're still not convinced, or if you need some ideas to get you started, this article is a must-read. Try smiling while you read it, and see for yourself how the simple act of smiling affects you:

Laughter is the Best Medicine: The Health Benefits of Humor

Experiment for a week or two. Naturally, I encourage you to focus on food- and weight-management related topics. For instance, try smiling while you prepare meals, or as you're choosing your clothes for the day. Enjoy a comedy while you exercise. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment