Monday, March 28, 2011

What Makes for a Happy, Stable Weight...

I recently ran across an article titled "Surprising Findings on What Makes a Happy, Stable Marriage," an overview of a new book by Dr. Terri Orbuch. It caught my eye because my wedding anniversary was a few days away, but as I read the article, I couldn't help but see parallels between what makes a happy, stable marriage, and what makes for a happy, stable weight.

According to the article, Dr. Orbuch suggests couples "focus on what is working, not on what isn't." Focusing on what isn't working is the backbone of the diet mentality. Are you guilty of looking in the mirror and zeroing in on whatever body part you like the least, whether it's your arms, breasts, waistline, stomach, hips, or thighs? Does trying to motivate yourself by feeling bad about yourself really help? I'm willing to bet you'll be far more successful if you look in the mirror and focus on what looks good, and what you're doing right.

I laughed out loud when I read Dr. Orbuch's recommendation, "Do sweat the small stuff." It's all-too-easy to say, "I'll work out twice as long tomorrow..." or "Just one more bite..." Unfortunately, it's all too easy for a little slip to become a big slide.

So...let's sweat the small stuff that makes up successful weight management, like getting enough rest, managing stress, paying attention to hunger and fullness, exercising regularly, and drinking enough water. And don't forget to pay attention to what's beautiful and good about you, notice what you're doing right, and show yourself a little appreciation for all you do!

If you'd like to read more, here's a link to the article on PsychCentral.com:

Surprising Findings on What Makes a Happy, Stable Marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment