Monday, July 11, 2011

Do Children Learn What They Live, Or What They're Taught?

Do your kids sit glassy-eyed in front of the television for hours? You're not alone. Dr. Catherine Birken lead a group which reviewed thirteen different studies, all of which concluded what many parents already know: It's hard to get kids to turn off the TV and work in a little physical activity. You can read an article about the study here.

Interestingly, the article doesn't mention the one intervention I'd assume would have the greatest effect: working with parents to model turning off the TV and being more active. There's a saying that "Children learn what they live."

I grew up in rural Alaska, and for many years, we didn't have running water or electricity. Naturally, we didn't have a television. After I left home, I didn't have a TV for years. I've never had a TV in my bedroom, and we have only one television in our home. My husband and I both set limits on the number of shows we watch, and the amount of time we spend watching TV.

Likewise, my kids know they can only watch a certain amount of TV daily, and only certain shows. They often opt to read a book, work on a project (right now, they're into finger crocheting), or play a game instead of watching TV. If my husband and I weren't setting the example that we do--if we watched endless TV, ate meals with the TV on, went to sleep with the TV on in the bedroom--I doubt that any intervention, no matter how well-planned or executed, would consistently overcome parental influence in the long run.

What do you think? Should we focus our intervention efforts on children? Should studies be family-oriented, and aid both parents and children in making healthier choices? Or should researchers turn their attention to parents? Let's hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. My son 8 years old used to watch tv for long hours and pc as well. I tried evrey thing but he was adectedd to it. I also used to watch tv too much .so i started to watch tv for one hour daily ..he gradually stopped pc and tv.and started to sleep earlier .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your success in breaking your son's addiction to the TV and computer, Anonymous! That's fantastic. :) I think we tend to underestimate how closely our children are watching us...and how likely they are to model their behavior after ours. I'm happy to hear both you and your son are living healthier, happier lives. Thank you for sharing your success. Keep up the good work!

      Delete