Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's Fat Tuesday!

Today's Fat Tuesday, better known as Mardi Gras. (It sounds better in French, doesn't it?) In Christian tradition, Fat Tuesday is a day of feasting, with a special focus on meat and poultry. Its purpose is to prepare Christians for Ash Wednesday, a 40-day season of fasting and abstaining that immediately precedes Easter.

Fasting has been on my radar since school started in September, and I've been doing some reading on its effects on health and weight. This came about after a few particularly hectic mornings juggling work, homeschooling my three kids, and housework. It wasn't a stressful morning--in fact, I accomplished quite a bit, and felt good about the morning's work. When lunchtime arrived, I realized I'd had my morning coffee (which incorporates an entire cup of low-fat soymilk), but completely forgotten to have breakfast. Because I'd been so happily busy, I hadn't noticed I was hungry.

After three or four of these mornings in a month's time, I noticed I lost a little size, specifically--and intriguingly--in my midsection. I've always been an apple, and since perimenopause kicked into high gear about 10 years ago, I've found it wildly difficult to lose weight in my abdomen. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this change.

So, I began doing a little research into fasting. Most organized religions incorporate some kind of fasting into their spiritual practices. And as it turns out, fasting has some surprising health benefits. (Of course, there are risks, especially if you are taking medications or have an existing health condition, so use common sense, and talk to your health care professional before you begin a fasting program.) Fasting is associated with longevity, weight loss, and a lower risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, diabetes.

There are different kinds of fasts, but the most approachable is a partial fast. In this type of fast, calories are reduced by about one-half, for one day. If weight loss is desired, the faster resumes their normal eating pattern the following day.

If you've ever dieted, that probably sounds really familiar. As you know, I'm not a fan of the diet mentality, so you may be wondering if my philosophy has changed. Rest assured, it hasn't. There's a body of research that suggests harsh dieting results in the release of stress hormones. In contrast, the research I've been reading suggests that when people fast for spiritual reasons, they feel calm and at peace. Researchers assume that's because religious fasters feel a sense of connection to like-minded fasters, as well as a sense of moral improvement.

But what if you're not a religious, or even a spiritual, person? There's some research that suggests fasting like the kind I accidentally created--in which the faster keeps occupied, preferably with enjoyable tasks--is comparable to spiritual fasting.

So, if fasting is a part of your spiritual tradition at this time of year, consider exploring it as a way to improve not only your spiritual health, but your physical health as well. If you've never tried fasting, or if your experiences with fasting were along the lines of the diet mentality, you might consider experimenting with fasting by reducing one or two meals a day in half, and "filling up" on activities that satisfy you instead. If you do, don't forget to share with us what you try, and how it goes! What do you think right now? Would you be willing to consider it? Sound off below!

No comments:

Post a Comment