Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Happy Hydrating, Better Teeth, and Fewer Calories, Too?!

Many of my students in "Lose Weight" decide to drink a glass of water before eating. Most of them find that it works well. There's a fair amount of research out there which suggests a glass of water (or a bowl of broth-based soup) before meals dulls appetite. This makes it easier to eat more slowly, eat less, and generally stay on track with weight management goals.

Personally, I've never found this tip useful. If I drink a glass of water before meals, I find myself thinking, "I'm not that full...after all, I had that big glass of water beforehand. I'm really just bloated, and if I don't eat a little more, I'll be hungry later."

Happily, my new dentist shared with me that although drinking 3 liters of water a day is good for dental health, drinking a glass of water after meals helps rinse out the mouth and protect the teeth. After trying it out, I was surprised to notice that, after eating a meal and drinking a glass of water, I felt satisfied without having dessert. I have a serious sweet tooth, so I was delighted to pass on dessert on more than one occasion, without feeling at all deprived.

So, if you're struggling to get in all the water you need, drinking a glass of water before and after your meals and snacks may benefit you. If you drink 8 ounces of water before and after three meals a day, that's 48 ounces of water...almost effortlessly. If you have a snack or two, that's another 16 to 32 ounces of water. In addition to all the inherent benefits of adequate hydration, you'll also eat more slowly or cut back on calories, again almost effortlessly. In addition, you'll be giving your teeth a boost, by "cleaning" them with a water rinse after eating. With all that good news, you'll have plenty to smile about!

No comments:

Post a Comment