Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Recipe: Updated Oven-Fried Chicken

To my husband's consternation, I'm constantly tinkering with my recipes. Sometimes I tweak them for nutritional reasons. For instance, I updated my Tofu Key Lime Pie to make it lower in carbohydrates, so it's easier on my husband's blood sugar levels. Other times, I experiment with recipes to improve their flavor.


Today's recipe is an example of both the former and the latter. Oven-Fried Chicken is one of the most popular recipes in "Luscious," my online cooking class, but I wanted to experiment with making the flavor a bit more like what you'd expect from a fast-food restaurant. I also wanted to replace the Old Bay seasoning to make the breading sodium-free.


Naturally, I won't say this is my final take on this recipe. :) However, if you've prepared Oven-Fried Chicken from "Luscious," you'll definitely notice the difference, and I think you'll be pleased. If you get a chance to try this version of the breading, let me know what you think of it!


Updated Oven-Fried Chicken


Ingredients:


Cooking spray (or oil in a mister)
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup cornflakes, finely crushed
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 tablespoon dried basil flakes
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
5 dashes ground cayenne
1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground peppercorn mix
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup nonfat sour cream, Greek yogurt, or plain nonfat yogurt
Spray butter (or oil in a mister)


Directions:


Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly coat a dark non-stick cooking sheet with cooking spray.


Combine cornflakes, cornmeal, parsley, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, cayenne, and peppercorn mix in a medium bowl. Set aside.


Place sour cream in a medium bowl. Set aside.


To prepare chicken, place chicken to the left of your workspace (reverse directions if you're left-handed). Place sour cream to the right of chicken. Place cornmeal mixture to the right of the sour cream. Place cooking sheet to the right of the cornmeal mixture.


Using your left hand, pick up a piece of chicken and place in sour cream. Still using only your left hand, carefully dredge the chicken, ensuring that it is well-covered in sour cream. Place the chicken in the cornmeal.


Using your right hand, carefully press the chicken into the cornmeal mixture, then turn chicken and press the other side into the cornmeal mixture. When the chicken is covered in cornmeal, use your right hand to place the chicken on the cooking sheet. Repeat until chicken breasts are battered.


Lightly spray chicken with spray butter. Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on size of chicken breasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment