Tuesday, September 2, 2014

To Cook, or Not to Cook?

A student in one of my online classes recently asked my opinion of frozen dinners, noting that she'd read an article that touted their benefits. According to the article, frozen dinners offered a variety of weight management benefits: Their single-serving size means you eat just enough, not too much; they can be stored for months in the freezer; and they're quick and easy to prepare. 


Her timing was impeccable, as I had just read an article that quoted The NPD Group stating that more than half of all meals and snacks are eaten away from home. A few days after I answered her question, I saw another article on the same topic, but with a slightly lower percentage (47% of meals and snacks), this time quoting June Jo Lee of Hartman Group.


Obviously, a table for one is the norm, or at least a daily occurrence, for many of us. So, the question begs itself: Are frozen dinners a good replacement for heading to the kitchen to prepare a home-cooked meal?


There is, of course, the convenience and ease of a frozen dinner, especially if you're cooking for one. It's true that, for some people, eating pre-portioned meals can change their perception of what a serving should look like -- although that isn't the case for everyone, and some people may end up overeating at a restaurant or buffet, just because they can.


For others, the single-serving dinner can be a disadvantage. After eating a 300-calorie meal, it's easy to feel hungry in a few hours, and justify nighttime noshing with, "My dinner was so low in calories...I really am a little bit hungry...I'll just have a handful of chips..." Especially for people with a previous habit of nighttime noshing, it can spiral out of control all-too-easily.


So, aside from their convenience, ease, and speed, I'd have to say no to frozen dinners. There's the obvious disadvantage of freezing, which doesn't improve the flavor, texture, or appearance of foods. Many frozen dinners are indeed lower in fat and calories, but high in sugars or salt, or contain additives or preservatives. Few frozen dinners contain the MyPlate recommendation for 1/4 of the plate from protein, 1/4 from carbohydrate, and 1/2 fruits or veggies.


There are less obvious advantages, too. I read an article many decades ago, in which the author compared cooking to alchemy. I love the analogy, and I think there's something to be said for how empowering it is to turn unappetizing raw materials into a feast that nurtures the body, as well as the mind and soul. Cooking is the only activity I'm aware of that relies on all five senses simultaneously. It's no wonder research has found that cooking helps stave off dementia.


When I was single, I prepared dinner most nights of the week. I used beautiful tableware, cloth napkins and tablecloths, enjoyed fresh flowers and candles, and played music with my meals. I firmly believe(d) I was worthy of a beautiful, delicious, home-cooked meal -- whether or not I had a companion at my table. I haven't seen any research to back me up, but I suspect that there's some psychology involved when you compare eating a frozen dinner from a tray, versus enjoying a home-cooked meal at a well-appointed table.


That said, given the research on how many people are eating alone, I'm guessing there will be a bigger push for single-meal frozen dinners...but personally, I'll stick with cooking. What do you think? Let us know below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment