Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Woman on Page 194

Okay, so I'm still talking about the woman on page 194, but I can't help it. What, you haven't heard about her? There's an article in the September 2009 issue of Glamour featuring a so-called plus-sized model:


(Walter Chin for Glamour (left); September 2009 issue of Glamour)

At first glance, this article made me feel hopeful. Isn't it great that, at last, we see a woman with a cute little belly roll, real thighs, and maybe even a stretch mark or two enshrined on the glossy pages of Glamour?

But then I couldn't help but think...maybe this article is discouraging. This woman is considered a plus-size model? She looks healthy and happy to me!

Maybe it's time for us to shift our focus from the woman on page 194 -- and not just because I've finally blogged about her. Maybe a better question all along has been: Should we be calling women with a BMI well below normal "models"?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment