Friday, December 18, 2009

Surviving Holiday Stress

We're past the mid-month mark, and for many of us, it's crunch time. Between buying and wrapping presents, decorating, parties, cards, dinner party planning and preparation, and religious celebrations, it's easy to get overwhelmed. It's ironic that many of us get so "into" the holiday season that we end up feeling angry, frustrated, tired and anything but joyous and celebratory.

If you're already feeling overwhelmed, I encourage you to take five minutes today to just stop. Spend five minutes just sitting still. After the five minutes have passed, ask yourself what you need to do to truly enjoy the holiday season.

As you're considering, keep in mind you're still human. That means you'll be healthier and happier if you're eating healthfully, getting enough rest, drinking enough water, managing your stress effectively, and exercising regularly. These tenets of successful weight management are also the foundation of healthy, happy living...and it's hard to enjoy life to its fullest when they're not in place.

Today I'm going to keep plugging away with my 3 liters of water, make a favorite (easy ;) dinner (using an ingredient my sister sent me--I'll be thinking of her as I'm cooking and eating), dance for a half-hour twice, use my tai chi chuan breathing three times, and get to bed early.

I'm also going to ask my husband for help with a few last Christmas presents, finish up a Christmas gift for a friend with my kids' help, and spend a half-hour listening to Christmas music and finishing up a few last cards. I'm going to skip the Christmas cantata at 7 PM tonight, and instead go to bed early.

What are you doing today to maintain your health and happiness? And what do you really need to do today to enjoy the holidays? Leave a post and let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment