Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't Take a Deep Breath...

I'm a huge fan of deep breathing exercises. I tend to carry stress in my body, so during and after a stressful situation I can literally feel the stress in my muscles and skin. Ironically, feeling the stress in my body often makes me feel even more stressed! Deep breathing helps me relax and release that physical stress, and it's something I can do anywhere, any time.

Not surprisingly, I'm always on the hunt for new breathing techniques. I recently ran across one on a prayer Web site, and I couldn't resist trying it out.

Unlike yoga, instead of changing up your breathing to match an expectation (i.e., "breathe slowly and deeply through your nose, feeling your stomach fill from the very bottom"), the instructions are to "just breathe," and be aware of your breaths, whatever they may be. Interestingly, allowing my breaths to just be, and gradually increasing my awareness of them, encourages me to naturally deepen my breaths.

I've also taken to pairing my breathing with releases and affirmations I found in Don Richard Riso's excellent little book, "Enneagram Transformations." My current favorites are "I release feeling that I will be overwhelmed with anxiety," as I breathe out, and "I affirm that I am profoundly grateful to be alive," as I breathe in.

Easy, right? The best part is that after breathing these in and out a few times, my shoulders usually release about an inch. It works! I suspect it's so powerful because it incorporates both mental and physical aspects.

If you want to check out the breathing exercise for yourself, click here. The breathing exercise link is to the left, in the box that reads "Preparing to pray." For more information about Don Richard Riso's take on the Enneagram, visit his Web site here.

If you've got a breathing technique you're crazy for, I'd love to hear about it. Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment