Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lose Weight -- and Keep It Off!

Are you among the many people resolving to lose weight this year? If so, here's an article from WebMD.com I encourage you to review first. Yes, it's true the study quoted in the article looked specifically at a small group of postmenopausal women. However, the researchers observed something many of us already knew: When you lose weight, you lose some muscle mass along with the fat. When you regain weight, all of that weight is fat. This tendency to lose muscle makes it easier to gain weight, and harder to lose it. The moral of the story is simple: Focusing on weight loss doesn't work in the long run.

What to do? Instead of focusing on weight loss, aim for lifestyle changes that will result in weight loss. So, instead of "I'm going to lose 20 pounds this year," how about goals like:
  • "I will write down everything I eat and drink for 30 days"
  • "I will track my emotions before I eat for the next two weeks"
  • "I will walk every day for 30 minutes, either at lunchtime or after work"
  • "I will not watch TV unless I'm stretching or working out while I do it"
  • "I will drink 8 ounces of water before every cup of soda or coffee for the next 3 months"
  • "I will experiment with a nurturing bedtime routine for the next month"
These are only a few examples, of course. There are many, many things you can do to create weight loss. That's good news, because it means there's something you can do differently -- today! -- to create weight loss. And when you make lifestyle changes, that means the weight you lose stays off, instead of coming back to haunt you (and bringing a few extra pounds with it).

Here's a bonus tip: Instead of waiting for the reward of weight loss, experiment with planning ahead to reward yourself with some tangible, non-food reward as you accomplish your lifestyle change goals. For instance, after you exercise 30 days, treat yourself to a wonderful new perfume or cologne. After 60 days of exercise, schedule a massage or facial. After 90 days of exercise, buy yourself a new item of clothing, or a new piece of jewelry or necktie to accessorize an outfit you love.

Got questions or concerns? Want to share your goals, challenges, or successes? You're in the right place! Please don't be shy...post away! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment