Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Smaller Fork, Smaller Bites...Smaller You?

I am so glad it's the last day of January 2012 -- this month has been unusually challenging. In particular, I've been plagued by a slew of dental difficulties, from a toothache to a broken tooth to a cavity underneath an existing crown. There was one up side, though: After two weeks of eating mashed potatoes and ice cream, I lost five pounds.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting these foods as the latest diet fad. I'm confident it wasn't my dietary choices that resulted in weight loss! Instead, what made the difference was eating slowly. In order to eat pain-free, I had to use a small spoon or fork. Each bite was small, and it took me much longer to eat than usual. As a result, I felt full long before I ate the amount I normally would.

Intrigued, I did some digging. As it turns out, the research is mixed. Many sources, dating as far back as this article from the mid-1980s, report that using small plates and utensils is an effective way to slow down and enjoy smaller portion sizes. However, two Salt Lake City researchers reported in July 2011 that bigger forks meant restaurant diners ate less.

I suspect the old-school approach has its merits -- and not just because of my own recent experience. It makes sense that using a smaller fork would encourage slower eating, and slower eating would lead to feeling full sooner. Assuming that you're responsive to your body's hunger and fullness cues, a change as simple as using smaller forks and spoons could help you lose and maintain weight.

So, why did the researchers find that restaurant diners ate less when they used bigger forks? It's hard to draw conclusions from a single study, but I'll hazard that it was in part because they didn't compare what one particular person might eat with a big fork versus a small fork. Instead, they compared people who ate with big forks to people who ate with small forks. Also, the study looked only at restaurant eating habits; it didn't take into consideration how people eat at home.

My dental woes are temporarily behind me, but I've switched permanently to the smallest forks and spoons I can find. It's a simple, easy way to slow down eating, and cut back on calories almost effortlessly. What do you think? Do you think it would work? Would you be willing to try it? Post below and let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment