Friday, November 6, 2009

Blogger's Surprise: Joys of the Mediterranean Market

Last week I posted the recipe for "Indian Chicken with Sweet Potatoes." One of the more exotic ingredients is garam masala, an Indian spice blend. I've seen garam masala a few times in the spice section of larger grocery stores, but not often. The recipe also incorporates ginger, an ingredient that I know from my online class "Luscious, Low-Fat, Lightning-Quick Meals" can be challenging to find.

If you're looking for either of these ingredients, I encourage you to consider heading out to your local Mediterranean market. I used to think Mediterranean meant Italian. Italy is indeed bordered by the Mediterranean Sea, but so are several other countries, including Spain, Morocco, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt. India isn't on the list of Mediterranean countries, but you're more likely to find garam masala at your ethnic market than at the grocery store.

At a recent trip to my favorite Mediterranean market, I ran across something I'd never seen before--dried gingerroot. Years ago, bottled minced ginger--similar to bottled minced garlic--was widely available and reasonably priced. In the past few years, however, it's become difficult to find (and pricey when I do find it, unless it's on sale). Fresh gingerroot isn't difficult to use--just wash it off and mince or shred it--but it lasts about a week in the fridge, and my favorite grocery store doesn't stock it.

So, I bought a good-sized bag of dried gingerroot for under $3. After experimenting a bit, I've settled on microplaning it and using it 1/2 dried:1 fresh. It's inexpensive, convenient, easy to use, provides that delightfully unique sweet-hot ginger flavor, and lasts indefinitely. What's not to love?

I enjoy hearing about others' adventures at local markets almost as much as I enjoy adventuring myself, so if you've been to your local ethnic market and found something interesting or unusual, I'd love to hear about it! Have a wonderful weekend, and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment