Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thinking About Thanksgiving, Part II

"Gluttony and surfeiting are no proper occasions for thanksgiving." -- Charles Lamb


I'm sorry I wasn't able to post on Friday. I've been wrestling with the flu for over a week now! I'm feeling much better, and I'm ready to follow up on last Wednesday's post, in which we discussed some of the hazards that often trip people up during the Thanksgiving season. Today, let's consider some ways to make this a more successful Thanksgiving from a weight management perspective:

1) Focus on the journey, rather than on perfection. People often set themselves up for food failure with goals like, "This will be the year I eat only 1,200 calories the whole day!" Instead of setting an arbitrary goal based on what you wish was true for you, reflect back on last year. Set a goal that's both realistic--something you know you can do--and an improvement over what you did last year.

As the day progresses, your small successes add up, both nutritionally and psychically. Ironically, but not surprisingly, I've had many clients return to the office after the Thanksgiving holiday saying, "Donna! This was the first time I ever planned to eat 2,500 calories--and I actually ate just 1,200 like I've always wanted to!" Even if you do eat 2,500 calories, that's so much better than 3,500 calories--and you can use the same tool to improve a little bit more next Thanksgiving.

2) Interestingly, although food is a major focus for people during the holiday season, most people eat without really enjoying the food! Don't let that happen to you. When you're eating, really pay attention to how the food tastes. Pretend you're a food critic! Put your fork down between each bite, put your hands in your lap, and describe the food in your mind. Challenge yourself to make mental notes that are memorable enough so that when you have a moment, you can come back here and share with us what you ate and how it tasted!

3) One oft-overlooked element of holiday season weight management is exercise. People often think, "I can't keep up with my usual workout. Oh well! I guess I won't work out at all."

Yikes! If you don't have time, space, or energy to follow through with your usual workout, that doesn't mean you have to eliminate activity altogether. Instead, focus on getting as much activity as you reasonably can. If you can't go to the gym for an hour, try a half-hour. If you can't make it to the gym, try going for a walk or picking up a new exercise video. Go outside and toss around the football, play tag with the kids, or take the dog for a longer-than-usual walk. Don't worry about whether it's enough. Instead, ask yourself, "How can I do just a little bit more?"

I'm thankful for many things--among them this opportunity to connect with each of you here, and share our weight management challenges, successes, and experiences. Thank you for being a part of my weight loss journey, and allowing me to be a part of yours! Have a happy, healthy Thanksgiving Day. See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Finally, after all these years trying to lose weight I discovered what you listed as number 1. Now that I'm focusing on my journey I'm successfully losing the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ironic how it works that way, isn't it? The best part is that when you perceive weight loss as a journey, you'll not only lose the weight, but *keep it off.* Thanks for your post, Veronica. Keep up the great work :)!

    ReplyDelete